Monday, June 4, 2012

Sand, Sun and Surfing Lessons.



If my first morning in Tofo, Mozambique is any indication of this trip – it is going to be a fantastic summer! The day started at 07:00 with a surfing lesson on the beach directly in front of Casa Barry Lodge (where the Marine Mega-Fauna Foundation is located, and where I am staying). Considering that I have never been on a surf board in my life, I was quite pleased at the end of the two hour session when I had already learned to stand and ride the waves! 

Bucket list item: Learn how to surf … check!

Having arrived in the afternoon on a Friday, my first few days in Mozambique were pretty relaxed as I settled in and became accustomed to the area and the people. The beaches are beautiful, the water is stunning, and the atmosphere is phenomenal. Warm enough to walk around in bare feet and short sleeves during the day, the evenings are cooling down as the southern hemisphere enters the winter season. The water temperature is warm compared to the chilly South African seas I swam in last year but still require a wet suit for any diving. 

Over the weekend there has been some weather moving through and it has prevented any diving on my first official "workday". But we are about to walk over to Peri-Peri Divers and get all of my dive equipment set up, meet the owners, and see how things are looking for the rest of the week.  Hopefully I will be in the water soon and able to share some good photos! In the mean time, here are a few from around the lodge:



MMF Office!

Steps down to the beach from Casa Barry Restaurant

Tofo Beach

You can find beauty everywhere you look!

All smiles!

2 comments:

  1. Excited about following your adventures this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This place is gorgeous! And so are you (duh). So awesome that you are learning to surf!!

    ReplyDelete