Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Clownfish Reef!

My first dive in Mozambique was certainly exciting!

Although I have to admit, one of my favorite parts was the boat launch! Since Tofo does not have any concrete boat ramps, the dive boats must be launched from the beach directly into the waves. The boat is loaded with all of the equipment, towed down to the water line with a Land Rover and dropped off. Everyone who is going out then lined up along the sides of the boat to help maneuver it into the water. We had quite a big wave break right at the beach so it was a little bit of a mission to get going. It was also a good thing that I was holding on to the safety lines because at one point a wave knocked the boat back and swept me off my feet! Once we had gotten it started, all of the females were instructed to jump in and get seated while the guys continued to push the boat further out. Finally, we were far enough to start the engines running and make our way, bouncing along the waves, to the dive site.

Once in the water, we had a short descent and found ourselves on Clownfish Reef! Everywhere I looked there was marine life. It was outstanding! Feeling like I was quite literally in an aquarium, I didn't know which direction to look. The 42 minutes of bottom time went past very quickly and all too soon we were making our accent back to the surface. There, we formed a group and waited for the boat to pick us up. The sun was just starting to set over the horizon, affording a perfect photo opportunity!

Post dive smiles

Can you see me?

Its called "Clownfish Reef" for a reason!

Moorish Idol

Blue Starfish

Electric Ray

Waiting for pickup


1 comment:

  1. Wow this looks like something out of a science book! I love the blue starfish. This is incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete